Shuck and Jive


Thursday, October 16, 2014

Transitions

October 13, 2014

Dear Friends,

This letter is hard to write. After nine years of ministry with you, it is time for a transition. Beverly and I will be moving at the end of December. Our last service with you will be the Christmas Eve service. I am in the process of accepting another call. When that is finalized in a couple of weeks I will let you know where. Our house goes on the market this week.

This congregation has touched our hearts. It was a place of healing when I arrived and a place of comfort after losing our son, Zachary. It has been a place of freedom and hope. This congregation has enabled me to grow as a preacher and pastor. I have been the envy of many of my colleagues because this congregation has allowed and encouraged me to be honest from the pulpit, on the radio, in my blog, and wherever else. First Presbyterian Church of Elizabethton is a beacon and an oasis. I am honored to have been able to serve with you.

This time between now and the end of the year will be a time of tearful goodbyes and a time to celebrate what we have accomplished together. We have accomplished much.

I know there will be many questions regarding next steps. The presbytery will guide you and I will do everything I can to make this transition as smooth and gracious as possible.

Thank you for your ministry to us.

Blessed Be,

John Shuck

2 comments:

  1. Trying to think of you instead of myself as I write this, so let me offer congratulations and lots of well wishes as I also tell you that I'll be sad to lose your incredibly important voice in our region. Your radio program and blog have truly changed the life of this NC gal--and that's not something I say lightly. Hope I'll still have the chance to listen to and learn from you and other important thinkers like the ones you've already introduced me to. Wishing you and your family all the best in your next chapter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your light has shined and many have seen the Way in a clearer and more sure-footed way. Thanks for your ministry, John. While the local TN community will miss you, I hope that you will still be in reach via your future blogs and radio programs and more. May the Light continue to lead you into your next call and beyond. Rob

    ReplyDelete