Shuck and Jive


Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Pluralism and Art

I received the following comment on this post regarding religious pluralism:
Hi there, I'm doing a college assignment on Christian Pluralism. Prior to this class, I was unfamiliar with pluralism in religion. Your site offered me some clarification and I have to say I am inspired with the idea of religious peace, tolerance, and recognition. I need to find a piece of art that exemplifies the pluralistic nature of contemporary Christianity, could you recommend a piece?
How about it, folks? Any ideas for this student?

4 comments:

  1. I reckon that the student should check out the Jesus In Love blog.

    http://www.jesusinlove.org/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Art by He Qi. http://www.heqigallery.com/

    Probably not what he intended by pluralism, but it certainly is non-western.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My friend and colleague, Jacqueline Luck of Holston Valley UU sent this:

    John,

    You have someone looking for an art work symbolizing Christian/Religious Pluralism on your blog, and I immediately thought of Edward Hicks and his paintings of the Peaceable Kingdom. He based his paintings on Isiah 11:6:

    "The wolf shall also dwell with the lamb, and the leopard shall lie down with the kid; and the calf and the young lion and the fatling together; and a little child shall lead them."

    He was dismayed with some within his Quaker faith that let the pluralism of their beliefs cause them to be unhappy with each other. He urged them through his paintings to see the inner light that dwelt in all of the people, factions and life and the peace that was possible. The little child seems to symbolize "those pure in spirit" in his paintings of the diverse and yet Peaceable Kingdom.

    Warmly, Jacqueline

    ReplyDelete