Shuck and Jive


Tuesday, June 28, 2011

From Fear to Transition

I am enjoying the Transition Network website. I found a film there, Transition 1.0. It is a positive, hopeful film about people who are aware of what we are facing and turning their fear to community action. I hope to show this film to as many people as I can and maybe we can turn Johnson City or Elizabethton into a Transition Town.

From the film:

Here's how to get started:
  • Organise a public screening of this film.
  • Gather audience contact details and invite them to a meeting.
  • Download and follow the Transition Primer.
  • Learn from other initiatives.
  • (It should feel more like a party than a protest).
Your midnight movie.

In Transition 1.0 from Transition Towns on Vimeo.

3 comments:

  1. Hi John - MB McCandless from Elizabethtown, KY here. (People always ask if I work with you, but no, I work with Skip Dunford at FPC in E-town, KY.) Anyway, would you be interested in doing something like a "sister church" thing with this? Elizabethton/Elizabethtown TN/KY? If this even mildly intrigues you, email me. - Peace, MB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Mary Beth!

    Yes, I would be interested. I will email you, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the kind of stuff we need to be talking about, not just the "end is nearing" sort of stuff. I worry about what kids like Ben and Lukey are dealing with, and what it does to their sense of hope, their motivation, even their sense of self - especially kids like Lukey who internalize so much.

    I have talked with him about the future he is hearing about, and I use a lot of your stuff to help him think of the things to come as an adventure, not an end. The more positive information they can hear about what THEY can DO will make all the difference to them.

    ReplyDelete