Shuck and Jive


Friday, December 14, 2007

Rev Gal Friday Five

I haven't played Friday Five in a while. Mother Laura has a good one for this week:

Can you believe that in two days we'll be halfway through Advent? Gaudete Sunday: pink candle on the advent wreath, rose vestments for those who have them, concerts and pageants in many congregations. Time to rejoice!

Rejoice in the nearness of Christ's coming, yes, but also in the many gifts of the pregnant waiting time when the world (in the northern hemisphere, at least) spins ever deeper into sweet, fertile darkness.

What makes you rejoice about:

1. Waiting?

Ironically, it reminds me that there is no need to wait for anything. Holy waiting is not impatient anxiety, but joy by being present to what is.

2. Darkness?

Discovering, acknowledging, accepting, and embracing my shadow, those parts of me that I don't want to reveal to others or myself is healing and transformative.

3. Winter?

Rest. Rejuvenate. Read. Knowing that life is ready to burst forth.

4. Advent?

It is a season rich in metaphors which makes for deep worship. It is a time to voice our dreams.

5. Jesus' coming?

He is already here if we would open our eyes.

Thanks Mother Laura!

6 comments:

  1. I like your description of Advent- a time to voice our dreams...something to meditate on- thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a beautiful post - it really expresses the joy of this season for me. It also brings to mind one of my favorite songs for the season: Wintergrace.

    Now is the time so well we love
    The time of all the year
    When winter calls with chilling breath
    For fireside and good cheer.

    A time for man and beast to stand and feel the seasons turn.
    To watch the stars for secret signs and God's true lesson learned.

    The time when the corn is all into the barn
    The old cow's breath so frosty white
    And the morn, across the fallow fields
    Does silver shine.

    And when cold morning's radiant beam
    Shines over hill and plain
    We know anew that little babe
    I born to us again.

    And man and beast and bird and tree, each one in his own place
    We bow our hearts and thank our Gods for winter rest and grace.

    The time when the corn is all into the barn
    The old cow's breath so frosty white
    And the morn, across the fallow fields
    Does silver shine.

    See you Sunday for the Chirtmas Chorale!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you. I love that poem/song. I look forward to seeing you Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you John! These answers are stunning, esp. "Holy waiting is not impatient anxiety, but joy by being present to what is." I breathe better when I take that in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I echo Mother Laura. You really have it there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Sally, Snad, Laura, and Songbird!

    Thanks for stopping and for the kind words. I appreciate that!

    Blessed Be,
    j

    ReplyDelete