Shuck and Jive


Monday, November 06, 2006

The Green Factor

My final election post! At election time we vote and act as if there are candidates from only two parties. Usually, it is a choice between the lesser of two incompetents. Every now and then, I get fed up and vote green. Here is the website of the Green Party of the United States. When I read over their platform, I find that their values are closer to mine than any other party. But I find myself in a quandary. Do I vote my conscience or take the politically expedient route? The Greens answer the charge that they are the "spoiler" party here.

Here are two Tennessee Greens. Chris Lugo is running for Senate and Howard Switzer for Governor.

I am the only candidate running for Senate in Tennessee who stands for the progressive ideals that have made this country great. I am truly interested in the needs of the poor, the elderly, women and children, working people, immigrants, gays and lesbians, and the environment. I am the only candidate who stands for peace. I have a long history of service to my community and working for a better Tennessee. (Chris Lugo from his website).



One look at my photo and you can probably tell I'm not your typical candidate for Governor. The typical office holder today has not been serving us very well because they are beholden to wealthy corporate contributors who do not represent the dreams and desires of most people. This corruption is reflected in our state policy to the detriment of every Tennessean. We can change that. (Howard Switzer from his website).


You can find other Tennessee Greens here.






4 comments:

  1. In my state (California), I will be voting for Greens and other third party candidates on the left, rather than Democrats. Eugene Debs once said, "I'd rather vote for something I want and not get it than vote for something I don't want, and get it."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm fed up with our two-party system, as well. That's why, for conscience sake and the future of our country, I join John in voting for an independent party.

    Kudos for standing up against both parties of corruption! (Even if you only speak about one of them.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks to all of you. Hope you had an enjoyable day at the polls. I checked out the Constitution Party that Chris mentioned. Interesting. I am not sure I read the platform correctly, but it seemed to suggest that the U.S. ought to get out of Iraq. Is that true?

    ReplyDelete
  4. John,

    The CP position is a little more nuanced than that. CP's in general lean toward an isolationist stance that strongly echoes the Monroe Doctrine.

    So, yes - if the CP were in power, we would be out of Iraq post haste. But we would also be out of just about everywhere else. The difficulty with theapplication of the Monroe Doctrine at this point is that there isn't a clarity on the extent to which the federal government must protect lines of trade.

    After all, do we want to reinstate the Barbary Wars?

    ReplyDelete