Shuck and Jive


Thursday, November 11, 2010

New PFLAG Chapter for Southwest Virginia!





I am happy to announce a new PFLAG chapter for our area. It is the PFLAG Abingdon/Washington County (Virginia) chapter.




This chapter joins PFLAG Tri-Cities for education, advocacy, and support for LGBTQ folks, family members, and friends in Northeast Tennessee and Southwest Virginia.

PFLAG Abingdon/Washington County has a brand new website.

And a Facebook page!

The first meeting is tonight.

Thursday, November 11th
6:30-8:30 p.m.
Highlands United Unitarian Church
Meadowview, Virginia
Here are directions.

They will meet on the second Thursdays.

The founder of the chapter is Dexter Tenney and you can read his story here.

I was raised in Meadowview, VA. Born in Mountain City, Tennessee. I came from a large family, 4 brothers and two sisters. My mother recently passed away in March of this year. I also had a brother who passed in 2004 of an accidental overdose of oxycontin, after a life long battle with addiction. From as far back as I can remember, I knew there was something "different" about me. Not until puberty was I suddenly shocked into the realization of what that difference was. My aunt , which I had never met, was visiting from Texas when I was about 11 years old. I had always loved to play dress up in Mom's old clothes and hats and wigs. While Mother, my Aunt set around the kitchen table, I was sitting nearby wanting to hear some of our fascinating history. The subject of me was brought up and my Mother went into how I liked to play dress up in women's clothes. She stated to my aunt "I sure do hope he is not going to turn out to be a homosexual. "
The rest is history. (Go to tab "Latest News" for his story).



Dexter and I were interviewed by
Cybil Britton on WEHC radio (the station for Emory and Henry College) last week. The program will air on Wednesday, November 17th at 1 p.m.




But you can hear it here!

You can't beat a good radio show about the Bible, gays, and Southern Appalachia!

No comments:

Post a Comment