Shuck and Jive


Wednesday, April 15, 2009

The Meaning of Life, Part 21

You desire to know something of my Religion. It is the first time I have been questioned upon it: But I do not take your Curiosity amiss, and shall endeavour in a few Words to gratify it.

Here is my Creed: I believe in one God, Creator of the Universe. That He governs it by his Providence. That he ought to be worshipped.

That the most acceptable Service we can render to him, is doing Good to his other Children.

That the Soul of Man is immortal, and will be treated with Justice in another Life respecting its Conduct in this.

These I take to be the fundamental Principles of all sound Religion, and I regard them as you do, in whatever Sect I meet with them.

As to Jesus of Nazareth, my Opinion of whom you particularly desire, I think the System of Morals and his Religion as he left them to us, the best the World ever saw, or is likely to see; but I apprehend it has received various corrupting Changes, and I have with most of the present Dissenters in England, some Doubts as to his Divinity: tho' it is a Question I do not dogmatise upon, having never studied it, and think it needless to busy myself with it now, when I expect soon an Opportunity of knowing the Truth with less Trouble.

I see no harm however in its being believed, if that Belief has the good Consequence as probably it has, of making his Doctrines more respected and better observed, especially as I do not perceive that the Supreme takes it amiss, by distinguishing the Believers, in his Government of the World, with any particular Marks of his Displeasure.

Letter from Benjamin Franklin to Ezra Stiles, March 9, 1790 (age 85)

4 comments:

  1. Couldn't have said it better, myself. Honestly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi is related to some relatives of mine (thought not to me).

    Impressive. (As he was in most other respects.)

    Pax, C.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "... and think it needless to busy myself with it now, when I expect soon an Opportunity of knowing the Truth with less Trouble. "

    The guy definitely had a sense of humor. :)

    ReplyDelete