Shuck and Jive


Wednesday, March 26, 2008

An Atheist in Erwin?

Here is a fine letter in today's Johnson City Press about evolution.

Rationalize for yourself
Let me start by saying I am an atheist. I am writing in response to all those who have written in to the Johnson City Press recently touting creation over science.

I believe that the science of evolution offers me more of an explanation of how we came into existence than creationism. To think that humans have only been around for only 10,000 years is absurd. It has been scientifically proven that we have been around much longer.

I have never met a so-called Christian, Jew, Muslim, Hindu or any other religious person that can prove to me that some imagined holy spirit created us. Most reference their religious books and can’t prove scientifically that some sort of god ever existed.

Using the argument that there must have been a creator to design something so complex as the human body is absurd as well. Are people so weak that they can’t use their own rational minds to figure out that isn’t true? When I was younger I tried to believe what I was being taught. I have since realized none of it is true. The Christian Bible as we know it is not a complete book and will never be complete. It is a great work of good reading fiction,
but that’s it.

I know I will get some hateful comments on this, but as an atheist I must speak up. Please use your rational minds to figure out what is true or not.

BRUCE M. HERBERTSON III Erwin



4 comments:

  1. Wow, that's one brave dude to come out as atheist in Erwin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, Erwin was the place where they lynched the elephant. I think they got a confession out of her first.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a wonderful letter. I just love hearing from athesists because they are so genuinely earnest and honest. They usually despise Christianity for its opposition to the truth, for its stupidity, its bigotry, for its scanctimonious piety, and for its assumption that it is uniquely privy to the only truth path. And then there's awful blindness that comes with being justified by faith, and other presumptions of self-secured salvation, though this is universally and adamantly denied.

    Of course religion can offer no proof of God, or any other supernatural phenomena. That's why religion has a faith.

    I know there's a special place in God's heart for atheists. There is in mine. I hope we can entice Mr. Herbertson to join us at 1st Pres.

    ReplyDelete