Shuck and Jive


Saturday, March 22, 2008

A Presbyterian Meme

Drew of Notes from Off-Center tagged me with a presbymeme. It brought a tear. I have never been tagged before for one of these things. This one was started by candidate for moderator of the PC(USA), Bruce Reyes-Chow.

The rules are pretty basic

  • in about 25 words each, answer the following five questions;
  • tag five presbyterian bloggers and send them a note to let them know they were tagged;
  • be sure to link or send a trackback to this post;

What is your earliest memory of being distinctly Presbyterian?

I became a Presbyterian when I was adult. I followed my lovely spouse to the church she was attending in Auburn, Washington, White River Presbyterian. It felt like a natural fit. The pastor was Rev. Francis Horner. He became my mentor through my candidacy for ministry. Quote from Lovely Spouse: "I just wanted you to go to church, not become the minister." Ah well.

On what issue/question should the PC(USA) spend LESS energy and time?

I think we should spend less energy and time and blaming others for denominational membership decline. We should also spend less energy and time hassling other people and churches for the way they do their ministry (ie. "loving discipline").

On what issue/question should the PC(USA) spend MORE energy and time?

We should spend more energy and time on issues that affect our planet's survival by encouraging and engaging congregations in peacemaking and environmental sustainability. We should also spend more energy and time helping Presbyterians raise our awareness that we are one family of Earth and that we have a great work ahead of us.

If you could have the PC(USA) focus on one passage of scripture for a entire year, what would it be?

"Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called children of God." (Matthew 5:9)

If the PC(USA) were an animal what would it be and why?

I was going to say a dinosaur and in some respects we are. But actually the animal I think we are is a human being. We have intelligence, creativity, and adaptability. We can also make very bad choices regarding our future. Let wisdom be our guide.

Extra Credit: Jesus shows up at General Assembly this year, what does he say to the Presbyterian Church (USA)?

First of all, do not refer to me as an authority for your prejudice against homosexuals. Get over it and change that blasphemous theology that condemns those whom I love. Oh and stop the theology that claims I am the only savior of the world. You missed the whole point. One planet, one human family, many paths, get it? Finally, the Bible. I didn't write it. Stop using it to beat people over the head. Sheeesh, followers! Oh, by the way. There are still poor people around. There are wars; there is suffering; there is injustice. You might want to work on that. And lighten up a little. You are all so serious.
I tag the following:

I am also going to tag some who are not bloggers, but who I think might have something to say:
Oh, why not? Jim Berkley of the IRD.


2 comments:

  1. I got tagged with that too... It's definitely making it's way around. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. John,

    You didn't tag me, but since I am a blogger who happens to be PCUSA I took a shot. Now it's your turn, fire away.

    What is your earliest memory of being distinctly Presbyterian?
    I have attended and been a member of a Presbyterian for my entire life. I think the point at which I remember being distinctly Presbyterian was when I realized that my church was not.
    On what issue/question should the PC(USA) spend LESS energy and time?
    I think we should spend less time trying to control what others do, and coercing people into a false unity.
    On what issue/question should the PC(USA) spend MORE energy and time?
    Use the authority given us to “Therefore, go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you.”
    If you could have the PC(USA) focus on one passage of scripture for a entire year, what would it be?
    “Jesus Said to her, “ I am the resurrection and the life. Anyone who believes this will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die. Do you believe this?”
    “Yes Lord” she told Him, “I believe that you are the Messiah, the Son of God, who was to come into the world”
    Do YOU believe this.

    Other suggestions: 1 Corinthians 15

    If the PC(USA) were an animal what would it be and why?
    The PCUSA is a dinosaur
    Extra Credit: Jesus shows up at General Assembly this year, what does he say to the Presbyterian Church (USA)?
    6Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. 7If you really knew me, you would know[a] my Father as well. From now on, you do know him and have seen him."

    , “ I am the resurrection and the life. Anyone who believes this will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die. Do you believe this?”
    Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled.
    Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God
    But, mostly I think he’d just sob at how screwed up this part of His church has become

    ReplyDelete