Shuck and Jive


Thursday, June 26, 2008

Heather and Hagar

Heather Reichgott of Holy Vignettes preached at the More Light celebration. Read this powerful sermon! Thanks Heather!

It is very easy to forget that we are children of God. It is very easy to get wrapped up in other kinds of belonging, other kinds of security and all that. We might be Sarah, feeling threatened at every turn. We might be Abraham, wishing the conflict would just go away. We might be Hagar, getting kicked out and exiled. Surely if anyone here can go around claiming that they're the righteous victim it's Hagar.

It's very easy, when we get hurt, to just go around being the hurt person or the lost person instead of being the child of God. It's like we're going around with a giant flashing neon arrow over our heads that points at whoever hurt us or pushed us away. "Hi, I'm Heather Reichgott, the candidate for ministry who might never be ordained because of those people over there who won't allow it."

And that becomes my explanation for who I am and what I'm doing with my life. How different it is when the arrow points up at God instead: "I'm
Heather Reichgott, child of God." How different our stories become then. How much more free we are.


You got it God-Child.

2 comments:

  1. I really loved that sermon. I heard in it the good word about knowing oneself as beloved of God regardless of the labels of others. That is grace. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete