Shuck and Jive


Friday, May 23, 2008

Burger King Does the Right Thing

Mark Koenig of the Presbyterian Peacemaking Program, who blogs at Swords Into Plowshares, ate at Burger King today. Here was his order:

"I'd like a number 7, two burgers with only mustard, pickles and onions, and a grilled chicken, hold the mayo. And by the way, I'd like you to give this letter to the manager, please."

The reason for the letter was today's announcement that the Coalition of Immokalee Workers and Burger King Corporation signed an agreement to improve farmworkers’ wages and enforce human rights standards in the fields.

Burger King was recalcitrant last November. But today, they came around. Mark writes:
Congratulations to the workers and all their supporters. Congratulations to Noelle Damico and the Presbyterians involved in the Fair Food Campaign. Congratulations to the leaders of Burger King for taking this step for justice.
A quote from the Gospel of Luke may be in order:

Jesus said: ‘In a certain city there was a judge who neither feared God nor had respect for people. In that city there was a widow who kept coming to him and saying, “Grant me justice against my opponent.” For a while he refused; but later he said to himself, “Though I have no fear of God and no respect for anyone, yet because this widow keeps bothering me, I will grant her justice, so that she may not wear me out by continually coming.”

1 comment:

  1. I like your use of the quote from the Gospel of Luke.
    http://kratistostheophilos.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete