Shuck and Jive


Thursday, August 14, 2008

Mr. Davis, Can You Hear Me Now?

Hear Snad roar. Our beloved Sandra Garrett had this letter published today in the Johnson City Press, the Bristol Herald-Courier, and now the Shuck and Jive Blog:

Published: August 14, 2008

Soon-to-be former U.S. Rep. David Davis is having a hard time dealing with the loss of his seat. He has hired a lawyer who specializes in voter irregularities, claiming that his loss is due to “outside influences.” I suppose I am one of those outside influences, even though I live and vote in Carter County. I am a progressive who voted in the Republican primary because I want a say in who is elected. If I were to vote as a Democrat (which I don’t feel much affinity for, either, frankly), I would have one office out of about 13 with a candidate to vote for. With even the county clerk position tied to party affiliation, that’s absurd bordering on unconstitutional. If you think progressives enjoy this reality, think again.

Davis sees as unfair that I should vote for a candidate regardless of either’s party affiliation. Poor guy.

Here’s the thing: By blaming his loss on Democrats and other “outside influences” who voted for someone other than him, Mr. Davis has essentially said: “I don’t represent ‘those people.’” Which means he hasn’t done his job. I sat in his office with six other concerned Tennessee citizens in April 2007 and reminded him that he does indeed have a responsibility to represent even those of us who didn’t vote for him. Apparently, he didn’t listen. I told him then that if he didn’t start listening, he would not be re-elected. Well, Mr. Davis, can you hear me now?

Sandra Garrett Elizabethton, TN

4 comments:

  1. Sure is.

    But some annoying smart-ass named captainkona added a comment as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Monkey -
    Aw, Geez. Ya makin' me blush over here!

    Captain -
    That's redundant. Smart-asses are, by nature, always annoying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's really cool, Snad! I wish I could have been there.

    ReplyDelete