Shuck and Jive


Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Elizabethton Welcomes a Friend

Dr. Patricia Williams is the editor of the Universalist Friends journal, a publication of the Quaker Universalist Fellowship. Take time to read her spiritual autobiography, Hazardous Engagement: God Makes a Friend.

She writes in the introduction:

To understand this pamphlet, it is necessary to know how it came to exist. It began with a series of spiritual experiences that occurred over a period of seven years, from early 1993 through 1999. During those years, I wrote a daily spiritual journal and also retained my weekly planners. Thus, when I decided to write a spiritual autobiography of those years, I had the raw materials available. I wrote the autobiography during 2001 and 2002, framing it as a series of monthly letters to the spiritual presence I refer to as Jesus or Christ or God or the Holy Spirit or any of several other metaphors typical of Christian references to the deity: Comforter, Advocate, Light, Savior, Teacher. (Read More)




I hope our Friends from Foxfire Friends Meeting in Johnson City will come join us and you will too on May 19th!

Her new book, Quakerism: A Theology for Our Time is just out and hopefully she will have some copies next weekend. She is bringing copies of her other books as well for sale.

No comments:

Post a Comment