Shuck and Jive


Monday, June 18, 2007

Enrich Your Relationship

In addition to the provocative theological, social, and political posts I make, I am first and foremost a pastor and have been one for nearly fifteen years. As such, I care about relationships between folks, particularly couples. I am a certified Prepare/Enrich (now Life Innovations) counselor. I took the training in seminary and have had updates throughout my ministry. I have counseled with 150 couples I would guess by using the Life Innovations resources and some of my own.

I offer this counseling for folks in my congregation and for those who are not in my congregation, but who live in the area. The key is to enrich relationships. The couple takes an inventory that is suited to their situation (not married, married, married with kids, second marriage (or more), living together, same-gender, opposite gender, retirement age etc.)

The inventory comes back to me with extensive analysis of the relationship including strength and growth areas. Then we go through communication exercises such as assertiveness and active listening. I introduce them to the self-awareness wheel, the ten step method to solving conflicts, and many other helpful tools I have collected over the years.

This counseling is especially helpful for couples who wish to move to a new level in their relationship. I have done this work with several couples at once which is most helpful. It isn't just for folks preparing for marriage or a holy union ceremony, but for those who may have been together for awhile and would like to increase intimacy, understanding, and communication, or to make some enjoyable plans for the future.

I think that building healthy and exciting relationships is an important part of my ministry. So I urge couples to take advantage of this. Most clergy I know are involved in some level of training in this regard and are more than interested in helping. Get in touch!

I, of course, do not charge for this. There is a $35 fee for the inventory to be processed. If at the conclusion of the four to six sessions, folks think it was helpful, they can make a donation to the church or to their favorite charity. Nothing will be asked or expected.

If you are interested in finding out more, contact me johnashuck@earthlink.net.

Blessings to you and your partner!
john

3 comments:

  1. This sounds like a fantastic ministry. I bet the Consistory even approves! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish you were closer - I'd love to go through the program with you. But, NJ is a long way away...

    And while I'd love it, I think my hubby would hate it. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Folks!

    You'll just have to make a deal with hubby, Eileen. If you get a fun counselor, he'll love it!

    ReplyDelete