Shuck and Jive


Friday, January 26, 2007

Come on Now Peace Bus


Tonight (Friday) is a good night to head down to the Acoustic Coffee House at 413 West Walnut in Johnson City. Music by The Feral Throes and The Worthless Son in Laws.

You need to check out the Acoustic Coffee House web page. They have some great Bush clips, like this one in which the president is asked about the number of Iraqi deaths. Then at 11:00 p.m. we are having a rousing send-off for the Peace Bus to Washington D.C.

Tomorrow (Saturday, January 27) there is a demonstration in Johnson City at two p.m. at the intersection of North Roan and Mountcastle Drive to support the troops and to oppose the war and the escalation of troops. Bring a sign or pick one up at the Coffee House.

Some rules:
  • Don't impede traffic
  • Be courteous to everyone
  • Stay on the sidewalk
  • Make some noise
  • If you grab a sign at the Coffee House return it for the next rally.
United for Peace and Justice has more information about the March in Washington.

Check here for some Songs for Peace and of course Peace Train by Cat Stevens. Here are the lyrics. Just for fun: substitute "bus" for "train":

Peace Train

by Cat Stevens

Now I've been happy lately, thinking about the good things to come
And I believe it could be, something good has begun

Oh I've been smiling lately, dreaming about the world as one
And I believe it could be, some day it's going to come

Cause out on the edge of darkness, there rides a peace train
Oh peace train take this country, come take me home again

Now I've been smiling lately, thinking about the good things to come
And I believe it could be, something good has begun

Oh peace train sounding louder
Glide on the peace train
Come on now peace train
Yes, peace train holy roller

Everyone jump upon the peace train
Come on now peace train

Get your bags together, go bring your good friends too
Cause it's getting nearer, it soon will be with you

Now come and join the living, it's not so far from you
And it's getting nearer, soon it will all be true

Now I've been crying lately, thinking about the world as it is
Why must we go on hating, why can't we live in bliss

Cause out on the edge of darkness, there rides a peace train
Oh peace train take this country, come take me home again

3 comments:

  1. Hi John, I have been reading your comments via societyvs blog. I can't help but notice how quickly certain people are to slander you. I just wanted you to know that I appreciate you stance on many issues, and although I do not agree with all of your theology, I appreciate your courage in taking a stand on what you believe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Chris!

    I appreciate that. Thank you. You know, I can't imagine that there is anyone who agrees with all of my theology. Even me. I argue with myself all of the time and change my theology often! I also know that these issues raise emotions including my own.

    Peace,
    john

    ReplyDelete
  3. Right on Chris - we have to stand side by side - we are all brothers and sisters in this faith - Chris, that was really encouraging!

    ReplyDelete