Shuck and Jive
Tuesday, January 09, 2007
Get Aboard the Beagle, Tennessee!
Charles Darwin's Beagle.
So far, 321 congregations have signed on to celebrate Evolution Sunday on February 11th. Four of those congregations are from Tennessee'
Providence Baptist Church
The Rev. Millissa M. Roysdon
St. Raphael Episcopal Church
The Rev. Ann Markle, Rector
First Presbyterian Church
The Rev. John Shuck
Pleasant Hill Community Church
United Church of Christ
Pleasant Hill, TN
Donald B. Clark
I bet there are many more congregations in Tennessee who will participate. Let your favorite clergyperson know about it and suggest that s/he sign the letter!
A friend of mine sent me this (from a version by Atheists of Silicon Valley):
Are you a Christian?
You are a fundamentalist Christian if...
1) You vigorously deny the existence of thousands of gods claimed by other religions, but feel outraged when someone denies the existence of yours.
2) You feel insulted and "dehumanized" when scientists say that people evolved from other life forms, but you no problem with the Biblical claim that we were created from dirt.
3) You laugh at polytheism, but you have no probem believing in a Triune God.
4) Your face turns purple when you hear of the "atrocities" attributed to Allah, but you don't even flinch when hearing about how God/Jehovah slaughtered all the babies of Egypt in "Exodus" and ordered the elimination of entire ethnic groups in "Joshua" including women, children, and trees.
5) You laugh at Hindu beliefs that deify humans, and Greek claims about gods sleeping with women, but you have no problem believing that the Holy Spirit impregnated Mary, who then gave birth to a man-god who got killed, came back to life and then ascended into the sky.
6) You are willing to spend your life looking for little loopholes in the scientifically established age of Earth (a few billion years), but you find nothing wrong with believing dates recorded by Bronze Age tribesman sitting in their tents and guessing that Earth is a few generations old.
7) You believe that the entire population of this planet with the exception of those who share your beliefs--though excluding those in all rival sects--will spend Eternity in an infinte Hell of Suffering. And yet consider your religion the most "tolerant" and "loving."
8) While modern science, history, geology, biology, and physics have failed to convince you otherwise, some idiot rolling around on the floor speaking in "tongues" may be all the evidence you need to "prove" Christianity.
9) You define 0.01% as a "high success rate" when it comes to answered prayers. You consider that to be evidence that prayer works. And you think that the remaining 99.99% FAILURE was simply the will of God.
10) You actually know a lot less than many atheists and agnostics do about the Bible, Christianity, and church history--but still call yourself a Christian.
Posted by John Shuck at 1/09/2007 05:08:00 PM