Shuck and Jive


Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Blessing of the Animals


A first for
First Presbyterian, Elizabethton and a first for me this Saturday. We are holding a blessing of the animals service at 1 p.m. in the church lawn between the church and E Street. Anyone is invited to bring their pets for a blessing. I expect we will have everything from hamsters to horses. You don't have to be a member of the church. Anyone in the community is invited (both two-legged, four-legged, other-legged, and no-legged). That is this Saturday at 1 p.m.

No blessing for any critter that bites me.

The blessing will include a brief corporate blessing and an individual blessing of each animal. Below is a sample prayer. It is nice. Has a Roman Catholic feel to it. Doesn't quite sound like First Pres, though. Have you been to a blessing of the animals service? Ideas for blessings?


“Blessed are you, Lord God, maker of all living creatures. You called forth fish in the sea, birds in the air and animals on the land. You inspired St. Francis to call all of them his brothers and sisters. We ask you to bless this pet. By the power of your love, enable it to live according to your plan. May we always praise you for all your beauty in creation. Blessed are you, Lord our God, in all your creatures! Amen.”


3 comments:

  1. I like this. My animals (dogs) are my children. I wish I could bring them by to be blessed. I think it is a smart move for 1st Pres. to do this. Thanks, and let us know how it turns out~
    -Scott

    ReplyDelete
  2. Superman jokes, controversial opinions, blessing of the animals... John, are you getting all your ideas from "Vicar of Dibley" now? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I attended a service a few weeks ago that had a blessing of the animals. I didn't have a pet, and I no longer have the program, so I can't say what blessing was used. But I can say that the service was a little noisier than usual. :)

    ReplyDelete