Shuck and Jive


Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Live Intelligently

Thanks to Doug at Witherspoon for posting this from George Marshall at ClimateChange:

Please, I beg you, if you care about climate change forget about "saving the planet".

Don't get me wrong. I'm not arguing that you chuck your bike in a hedge and hurtle off to Heathrow in your 4x4. In fact the exact opposite.

The problem is that this wretched phrase and all the concepts it embodies are guaranteed to have the exact opposite effect. Let me unravel it and I hope you will agree. (Read More)




2 comments:

  1. I've been saying for years that we need to stop the "save the planet" palliatives and start working to save our own asses. In order to get the majority of people to do anything real we have to appeal to the most selfish interests possible.

    All you have to do is look at any parking lot to see nature winning against incredible odds. Nature will out. But if we want it to sustain US, we better do something about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree partly, though I notice that Marshall has the same problem as George Lakoff of Don't Think of an Elephant fame. Both men describe the wording problem, but the solutions aren't that helpful. For example, Lakoff suggests instead of "activist judges" that the left try using "liberty judges". Sauerkraut by any other name...

    ReplyDelete