Shuck and Jive


Thursday, October 25, 2007

Halloween Friday Five

Time for Friday Five with the RevGals. Here is today's Five (or Six) from Singing Owl:

All Hallows Eve (Halloween) is near. As a child, Halloween was one of my favorite holidays. We didn’t yet worry about razor blades in apples or popcorn balls or some of the other concerns people have with Halloween these days. Halloween was a chance to be mildly scared, and better yet, to dress up and pretend to be something we really weren’t. Let’s talk about that a bit, but then let’s add in some food ideas for this year. Where I live the leaves are falling, the temperature is chilly and pumpkins are for sale everywhere, along with many kids of apples. What's more, the "Holiday Season" will soon be upon us. ACK! I could use a new idea for dessert. So, here we go…

1. How did you celebrate this time of year when you were a child?

My father didn't like Halloween. So we would turn out all the lights and let the dogs out to scare the Trick or Treaters.

2. Do you and/or your family “celebrate” Halloween? Why or why not? And if you do, has it changed from what you used to do?

See above. When my kids were little, I would take them out Treating and Tricking. It was always freezing cold with usually the first snow on Halloween in Lowville, NY, so T&T didn't last too long.

2. Candy apples: Do you prefer red cinnamon or caramel covered? Or something else?

Caramel for sure.

3. Pumpkins: Do you make Jack O’ Lanterns? Any ideas of what else to do with them?

Yes. And we would let them sit out in the freezing cold until they nearly completely rotted.

4. Do you decorate your home for fall or Halloween? If so, what do you do? Bonus points for pictures.

A little. Now that it is just Lovely Spouse and I we sit at home like old folks and give candy to the T&Ters. I always give a blood-curdling scream when they come to the door.

5. Do you like pretending to be something different? Does a costume bring out an alternate personality?

LS and I have gone to a few Halloween parties. My favorite was when we went as Mr. and Mrs. Conehead.

Bonus: Share your favorite recipe for an autumn food, particularly apple or pumpkin ones.

Sorry, can't help you there. I mostly get sick on leftover candy and call it a night.



3 comments:

  1. your "boo" didn't scare me, but maybe your scream will when I come to your door...thanks for a fun play!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dogs, rotten pumpkins, screams.... Ah, what a charming fellow you must be! ;-)

    It seems that so far I am the only one who also likes the cinnamon kind of candy apple. No wonder I can never fine one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is an epic halloween history. Scary by not trying. That is awesome.

    ReplyDelete