When I post on the Jesus Seminar, I tend to raise the ire of some commenters. I don't intend that, but I regard it as an added bonus. One blogger said that I was a Jesus Seminar Fanboy. True enough. I am an associate member and a member of their fan club. Folks may think it odd that scholars would have a fan club. I think it is swell. Some people are fans of NASCAR and enjoy watching grown men (and women) turn left around a racetrack. Others are fans of Westar and enjoy watching grown men (and women) vote left around a table.
Why do I heart them? Let me count the ways:
- They are a swell group of folks. All around, nice people.
- They publish books that I can read.
- They are interested in topics that interest me: the historical Jesus, Christian origins, and so forth.
- They go around the country two by two as the Lord has instructed them to preach the gospel of higher criticism. I am pleased to have so far hosted three such events, known as Jesus Seminars on the Road.
- They hold their Spring and Fall gatherings at the Flamingo.