Shuck and Jive


Friday, November 30, 2007

Evel Knievel



My hometown newspaper, the Montana Standard of Butte devotes coverage to the death of Butte's own Evel Knievel.


Here is the obit in the Standard.

There were at least three movies about Evel Knievel. I remember seeing the first one when I was nine at the Drive-In. It was a pretty big deal since it was filmed in Butte. My brother's 1951 Plymouth was even in it. Evel was played by George Hamilton. Really crappy movie, but hilarious to watch. Evel was my hero as a kid.

Now I drop names. I went to school with his daughter Tracey. She was in my Spanish class. His wife bought hay from us on our farm in Whitehall. I don't know if he jumped over the bales.

Miss ya, Evel. You were larger than life.



"I am the last gladiator in the New Rome. I go into the arena and I compete against destruction and I win! And next week I go out there and I do it again."



No comments:

Post a Comment