Shuck and Jive


Monday, February 16, 2009

Robots, Stimulus, Cheese

I am back from NYC--a bit of a whirlwind trip--to see my wife's sister in the play Universal Robots at the Manhattan Theatre Source. I love off-Broadway plays. This one was a thought-provoking look into ethics, violence, and what it means to be human. Excellent writing and acting.

Yes, yes, she is my sister-in-law. I would say the same thing even if she wasn't, although I doubt I would have seen the play!

If you are in NYC, check it out. It closes March 7th.

While on the journey, I reflected on the economic stimulus package.

I am hoping our Tennessee senators and representatives, who all voted against the package, will stop pouting long enough to put Tennessee's portion to good use.

I am hoping for some cheese.

I do enjoy that government cheese.

Seriously, we are in a pickle. Lawmakers could have done nothing. The Republicans have decided to opt out and if anything doesn't work, they can say, "I told you so." Great leadership there.

Do I like all the stuff in the package? Of course not. Who could?

Hopefully, there will be incentives to help the poor, the sick, children, the elderly, and incentives to move the private sector toward green industry. Wouldn't it be awesome if we truly had a green revolution in which our economic prosperity was linked to sustainable industries, healthy food, and clean energy?

This stimulus package is a long way from doing that, but the key word is stimulus. It is a start.

No comments:

Post a Comment